Livonia was carved out of the surveyed land of Phelps and Gorham. A historical marker on Federal Road marks the approximate homesite of the first settler, Solomon Woodruff. He arrived c. 1789, soon after the Revolutionary War had dispelled the Aboriginal peoples from the region. At that time the area was known as Pittstown, so named for Peter Pitts who had purchased the land from Phelps and Gorham. On February 12, 1808, Pittstown became divided. The western half was named Livonia (after a Russian province which bore the same name).
At present, the Town of Livonia is made up of the following hamlets: Village of Livonia, Livonia Center, South Livonia, South Lima, Hemlock and Lakeville. Listed here are just snippets of each hamlet’s history. More extensive information can be found in 1789-1989 Livonia History, a book published by the Bicentennial Committee. (The book is available at the museum for $5).