With the arrival of the railroad in 1853, homes and businesses were built in the proximity of the depot; because of this, the settlement became commonly known as Livonia Station. By the year 1872 it had become the largest village in the Livonia township. The village of Livonia Station itself was a latecomer in the matter of taverns and hotels. The first tavern was built by a Mr. Ripley and was located in the general area of Railroad Avenue. This was before the present brick buildings were built on what is now Commercial Street.
Other businesses included the Smith Hotel, the Baldwin Hotel, the Commercial House and the Church Hotel, all of which accomodated railway travellers. The Church Hotel and the Commercial House remain standing today as the Cottage Hotel (apartments) and the Livonia Inn. Livonia Station was renamed simply Livonia on February 24, 1900.