The early history of South Livonia had its beginning in a settlement known as Vermont Street, so named because most of the settlers came from the state of Vermont. We find the names Adams, Coe, Backus, Chamberlain, Baker, and Patterson among the early settlers. Upon their arrival to South Livonia, the Vermonters planted Maple Trees. According to stories passed from generation to generation, the making of Maple Sugar was the first commodity produced in South Livonia.
Early pioneers of South Livonia were the Coe Family. The Coe barns now standing on the site of the original homestead are a study of Gothic Revival Architecture. The original Coe Home burned, but the beautiful gingerbread on the barn still attracts passersby. Two of the Coe barns were featured in Daniel Fink’s "Barns of the Genesee Country", 1790-1915 — the Gothic Revival Barn and the Octagon Barn.